- The most affordable type of hurricane protection
- Lightweight – Easily installed and removed by 1 person if using tracks
- Stores easily in a garage or shed
- Rust Free
- 10 year warranty*
- Meets Florida Building Code for HVHZ/non-HVHZ hurricane zones
- Easy DIY install
- Can be installed with a direct mount (panelmates) or tracks
- Clear panels available to let in sunlight and see outside
Hurricane Panel Pros and Cons
- Most affordable option of hurricane protection
- Let in nature light with available clear panels
- Removable – doesn’t change the look of your house when they are not in use
- Provides excellent protection for doors and windows
- Allows for home owner insurance discounts
- Corrosion resistant
- Requires storage space while not in use
- Takes the most time to secure home vs other options – ~5-10 minutes per window or door
- Usually requires 2 people to secure panels if not using a track system
Current Production Time
Bahamas and Colonials: 2-3 weeks
Hurricane Fabric: 1-2 weeks
Rolling Shutters: 4-5 weeks
Aluminum & Clear Panels: 2-3 weeks
Are storm panels heavy?
Short Answer: Not nearly as heavy as you might think. Our .050 aluminum panels weigh 1.12lbs per linear ft.
Long Answer: Typically when people think of hurricane panels they are mainly thinking of the galvanized steel panels – and yes they are heavy! 24ga galvanized steel hurricane panels weigh in at 1.64lb per ft. So just (1) 12″ x 58″ galv. steel panel would weigh in at almost 8 lbs. Try and carry and entire stack of panels (6 panels) to cover the window at once and you would be carrying almost 50lbs.
The aluminum panels weigh 1.12lbs / ft and the clearguard weigh 0.98lbs / ft. So in the example above a stack of aluminum panels would weigh 32.5lbs (~35% less) and a stack of clear panels would only weigh 28.4lbs. (~40% less)
Are the clear panels as strong as the aluminum?
Short Answer: No
Long Answer: While both our aluminum AND clearguard panels are Miami Dade approved, comply with all FL building code and HVHZ/non-HVHZ approved; the clearguard panels have only been tested with an alternating aluminum/clear/aluminum pattern.
Technical details on the clear polycarb panels: Typical tensile strength Fy=8.908 KSI, Flexural Strength Fby=12.90 KSI & flexural modulus is 328.7KSI
Are they easy to install myself?
If your handy with a drill and a level then you shouldn’t have a problem. On a scale of 1-5, installing hurricane panels would be a 2. We recommend at least 2 people to help install panels
- Hammer Drill
- Impact Driver
- 3/16 and 7/32 masonry bit
- 5/16 impact hex bit
- Can of compressed air or small air compressor to blow out dust
- Dust mask
- Fine point permanent marker (to mark mounting holes)
- Tape measure
What are the clear panels made of?
All clear panels are made from 100% synthetic thermoplastic polymer resin (UV Stabilized).
What's the difference between "Direct Mount" vs "Tracks?"
See below for mounting styles
Do you offer a warranty on your panels?
We offer a 10 year warranty on the panels. We also warranty for 10 years our workmanship if we install the product including the anchors and bolts installed on your home. If any anchor comes loose or comes out within 10 years of installation, we will replace it at no charge!
Clear Panels available!
Let in some extra light with our ClearGuard panels while still protecting your home. Available in full windows and combination Clearguard/Aluminum.
Approved for use by the Florida Building Code (non-HVHZ) Texas department of Insurance Standards (TDI), International Residential Code (IRC) and the International Building Code (IBC).
The direct mount option is the most cost efficient way of installing your hurricane panels. Your panels can be mounted either horizontal or vertical and do not require the use of tracks. The panels are secured by small studs that run either on the left and right or the top and bottom of the opening.
Carefully remove your panels from storage and place each pre-labeled bundle of panels next to the corresponding window or door. Remove zip ties that hold the panels together
Remove the protective caps from the window studs and place in a storage container. Give each stud a little wiggle and pull to ensure that the stud has not come loose before putting up the panels.
Starting at the bottom of the window (if horizontally mounted) slide the first panel over all 4 studs and slide the panel left or right making sure the stud is locked in the key hole on the panel (see picture below). Secure only the bottom two studs with a wingnut and finger tighten.
Overlap the bottom of a new panel with the top of the panel you have already installed. Tighten the next wing nut using either a wing nut driver or by hand. WARNING: Be sure NOT to overtighten the wing nuts or you may strip out the stud.
Keep working your way up the window overlapping each panel.
Remove panels in reverse order. Be sure to replace protective caps on the studs and store wingnuts in an easy to remember location. Panels can be stacked and stored however you choose.
Another way of securing your home with hurricane panels is with the use of tracks. The two most popular types of track are F-track and H-track (or H-Header). The main reasons why you would want to use a track system with your hurricane panels:
- A window has decorative trim pieces or obstacles that do not allow for a direct mount option. If the panel cannot be placed where both ends of the panels are completely flat against the house then a track option is the way to go.
- A track system makes putting on the panels by 1 person much easier. The panels only need to be secured at the bottom of the window and not at the top.
Storm Panels with Track System
Slide the square track bolts into the bottom F-Track. Make sure to space the bolts roughly 12 inches apart for easier panel installation.
Slide the panels into the H-Track. There are no bolts or hardware required at the top.
After the top of the panel is slid into the top H-Header, carefully slide the bottom of the panels over the bolts at the bottom and secure it with a wing nut. Overlap the panels and repeat the process untill the entire window is covered.
Want more info? Don't hesitate to ask. We are more than happy to answer any questions you may have
Thank you for considering Smart Guard Shutters for all your hurricane protection needs. We strive to exceed your expectations and love to receive your feedback. If there’s any area of our service that stood out or ways we can improve please let us know by contacting us. We look forward to working with you and hope you have a safe 2023!